Monday, March 25, 2013

Waiting

My van is in the shop right now being checked over and they are making sure there is nothing wrong with it.  It kind of sucks because I want to keep working on it and pimping it out into what will soon be my home.  I feel like an artist who's mural was taken away from him right after he started to paint it.  I just want to keep painting and finish the job.  Me and my family are leaving on vacation in a couple days now so it should be done by the time we get back. Hopefully the sun and the sand will help keep my mind off my masterpiece and I can just relax and enjoy life before I have to finish preparing for my big trip.

I feel like I'm a pretty impatient guy.  Whenever I have to wait for something I want I get pretty frustrated.  It seems like almost everything in life has been set up for speed and convenience so I rarely have to wait long for anything.  I think I'm impatient mostly just because I'm spoiled by society.  I'm hungry, OH I can just go to Wendy's and get a whole meal in like less than 5 minutes.  I want to talk to my friend, OH look I can just call them on my phone and talk to them instantly.  I want to know the capital of Bangladesh,  Oh I can go to Wikipedia and look it up in 3 seconds.  Everything I want in life I can usually get it in less than 5 minutes.

I feel like this trip will teach me to be more patient. If I want to look for something online, I'm going to have to find free WiFi at a McDonald's or somewhere.  If I want to put on a clean set of clothes I'll have to do my own laundry, because my Mom won't be able to join me.  If I want to eat a cheap, healthy, organic home cooked meal I'll have to spend time shopping or foraging and then I'll have to cook it myself.  Everything that I'm going to need to do for just everyday life is going to take longer so my patience will have to keep up.

In a way it's going to be a good thing that everything will take longer because I'm going to have tons of free time while I'm on the road since I'll be unemployed and therefore more likely to get bored.  One thing that I know will take a really long time, but that I really want to try and do is get almost all my food from wild sources.  I want to forage for cattail stems, fern fiddle-heads, various wild berries, morel mushrooms and anything else I can safely identify as edible.  However, I do not plan on being a vegetarian on this trip so I'll also try to look for good meat sources such as fish, small game (squirrels/ rabbits/etc.) and maybe something exotic like a fat rattlesnake or wild birds eggs.  Maybe I've been watching too much Man vs.  Wild, but I think it will be exciting trying to eat almost exclusively things I'm able to forage and hunt for in the wild.  I've always been somewhat of an outdoorsman, so this challenge really isn't that big of a leap from things I've done in the past.

Just typing this stuff out is making my head go into day dream mode again and I'm thinking about all of the adventures that I'm about to embark on. The change from where I was a year ago ONLY daydreaming about this to now where I am actually planning this all out is making my impatient side really rear it's head right now.  I think it will be hard for me to stop thinking about this trip while I'm vacationing with my family this week.  But I have to try.  I don't want my mind to be focused on a future trip without being able to enjoy the one I'm on.

No comments:

Post a Comment