Thursday, June 13, 2013

North Dakota

After visiting DBE my maps lead me to North Dakota.  I crossed the border into the town of Fargo and went to a little park to eat my Hardee's burger under the shade of some big trees.  While there though I noticed that there were people playing Frisbee Golf!  The course had been flooded a few weeks earlier, due to it's proximity to the Red River, so their were a bunch of muddy spots.  But it wasn't too bad and I was able to complete the course without getting too muddy.




After Fargo, Grand Forks was my next destination and they had a nice city park with a disc golf course, but I decided to just walk on the trails instead. It was also against the Red River and there were many visible signs that flooding had occurred.




The next day I visited Turtle River State park.  It was a bit farther west so trees were starting to become a rare sight as I headed into the plains, but this park was a small oasis of trees in a desert of grass and farm fields. 

I hiked here and looked at all the wildlife for a few hours.  Along the way I caught a little friend on the edge of the turtle river. A Wood Frog.

Other wildlife included a little Red Squirrel, a Whitetail Doe and even a Wild Turkey.




Later that day I drove to Devil's Lake.  On the way I passed by some cool windmills.  They were pretty big.
  
When I got to Devil's lake I decided to go to Sulley's Hill Game Preserve. It was on the other side of the lake so I got to drive across the bridge and get some nice lake pix.





Right at the entrance of the preserve there were a herd of Bison along the roadside and some even in the road.
















Next, I actually climbed to the top of Sulley's Hill inside the preserve.






I took way more pictures than what I'm posting, but this is taking a super long time to upload all of them so I'll post just the highlights.  Like a bull elk just starting to grow it's antlers.


And that was the game preserve.  The next day I traveled to J Clark Salyer Nature Preserve in North Central North Dakota to try to find deer antlers and maybe even a moose antler.




(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment